ABOUT DR. NICHOLAS FIORE, MD
Dr. Fiore is double board certified by the American Board of Surgery in both surgery and hand surgery. He initially developed his interest in hand surgery after fracturing his wrist, wrestling for the Duke University Blue Devils. Forced to undergo surgery and placed in a cast for several weeks, he truly recognized the profound impact having a hand injury can have on a person's physical, emotional, and financial well being.
After obtaining his medical degree from Ross University School of Medicine he entered general surgery residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry-NJ Medical School where he achieved both local and national recognition in his ability to teach (see curriculum vitae).
This teaching ability translated well with his doctor/patient relationships as most patients found him able to break down a complex condition and make it more understandable. Graduating from residency, he proceeded to acquire additional training in hand and microsurgery from the Baylor College of Medicine accredited fellowship where he performed well over 500 operations.
The training was diverse to say the least and included elective, non emergent hand surgery as well as limb threatening or mangling trauma. Upon graduation he was invited to stay as faculty for which he was hired as an Assistant Professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery. It was a productive year clinically (performed about 400 procedures) as well as academically as he literally ‘wrote the chapter' on hand surgery which he co-authored in Sabiston's Textbook of Surgery 18th edition.
He was also featured on a Christi Myers ABC 13 segment regarding the use of leeches on microsurgical patients in October of 2006. Having the dream of being in private practice, he proceeded to form Cy-Fair Hand and Wrist Surgical Associates, P.A. and ‘hung his shingle' in November 2007.
Dr. Fiore is double board certified by the American Board of Surgery in both surgery and hand surgery.
His practice is solely dedicated to surgery of the upper extremity with a focus on pathology of the hand and wrist. In addition to his busy clinical practice, Dr. Fiore is a speaker for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals and a medical technology consultant.
August 1990 – May 1994
Ross University School of Medicine
Dominica, West Indies
January 1996 – September 1999
Post Doctoral Training
Internship and Residency:
University of Medicine and Dentistry New Jersey- N.J. Medical School
July 2000 – June 2005
Baylor College of Medicine
August 2005 - July 2006
- NJ 25MA07474700 Issued 5/12/2005
- TX M3544 Issued 2/29/2010
- Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery
- Board Certified in Hand Surgery
- CAQ in Hand Surgery eligible after completion of fellowship in 7/2006
- Microsurgery certification 11/2005
- MicroAire Carpal Tunnel Release System Training Program 5/19/2006
- ACLS June 2006
- SBI Re-Motion Total Wrist Arthroplasty System Course 6/15/2006
Awards and Honors
- NJ Medical School- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching 2005
- NJ Medical School-Department of Surgery Resident Teaching Award (2nd Place) 2005
- Finalist American College of Surgeons Resident Award for Exemplary Teaching 2004
- NJ Medical School-Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching 2003
- NJ Medical School-Department of Surgery Resident Teaching Award (1st Place) 2003
- Gold Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching and Humanism in Medicine 2002
- NJ Medical School-Department of Surgery Resident Teaching Award (1st Place) 2002
- NJ Medical School- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching 2002
Schering-Plough Research Institute
Research Assistant in Allergy/Immunology
Advisor: John Anthes, PhD
5/1993 – 8/1993
Schering-Plough Research Institute
Research Assistant in Molecular Genetics
Advisor: Jonathan Greene, PhD
5/1994 – 8/1994
- Surgical representative for Committee for Interns and Residents 2003
- RRC General Surgery Review Committee 2003
- Surgical Representative for Committee for Interns and Residents 2002
- ACGME Institutional Review Committee 2002
- Fellow in the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Candidate of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Member of Michael E. Debakey International Surgical Society (2006-present)
Netscher DT; Fiore NA; Rodgers, BA. "Vascular Injuries and Disorders of the Upper Extremity". Guyuron, Erikkson, Persing, Chung, Disa, Gosain, Kinney, and Rubin Plastic Surgery 1st Edition (pending publication)."
Netscher DT; Fiore NA. "Hand Surgery". Sabiston:Textbook of Surgery 18th Edition.
UMDNJ Grand Rounds -"The Medical Malpractice Crisis: Etiologies, Consequences, and Cures" Spring 2005.
Baylor Division of Plastic Surgery- Hand Surgery Grand Rounds-"Burns (Thermal, Electrical, and Chemical) and Frostbite" 10/24/05
Baylor Division of Plastic Surgery- Hand Surgery Grand Rounds-"Trigger Finger, DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis, and Epicondylitis" 3/27/06
Baylor Division of Plastic Surgery- Hand Surgery Grand Rounds-"Dupuytren's Contracture" 5/14/07.
Non Academic Pursuits
Member of Duke University Varsity Wrestling Team 1990-1992